Why Come to Us?
There are many sources from which you can obtain hearing aids. Why come to us?
- Hearing aids are not retail products. They are sophisticated electronic medical prosthetics. Each set of aids must be matched to the patient's hearing and processing ability. If they are not, they may actually make it more difficult to hear rather than easier to hear. You can no more buy a random hearing aid than you can take a random pill and hope it cures whatever ails you.
- You need followup after a hearing aid fitting the same way you need physical therapy after an orthopedic procedure. You will not get adequate followup from the internet, a mail order insurance plan, or a big box store.
- You need to know the credentials of the person who treats you. We have advanced degrees in audiology (M.A., and Ph.D.), and have been in practice for 30 years. Our director is also a professor at the CUNY graduate center, teaching doctoral students.
- If you are elderly, you need someone who specializes in treatment of the elderly. Hearing aids are usually not modified for the problems acquired with aging (dexterity problems, visual problems, speed of processing problems). We have been treating patients for 30 years, with an emphasis on the elderly. We have given papers on how to modify the dispensing of aids for the elderly, and have done research on the hearing performance of the elderly.
- You need to see someone who treats patients with hearing loss, not someone who merely sells hearing aids. Treatment of hearing loss encompasses knowledge in many areas ( physiology, cognition, psychology,etc.) and includes much more than just hanging hearing aids on a patient's ears.